Friday, November 6, 2009

Brian's Top 7

(1) Pulp Fiction - Easily one of my top 5 all-time favorites, great dialogue, great acting, great plot, great cameos. This was perhaps the first movie I walked out of the theater knowing immediately that I had to see it again (and again and again...). You can pick one or two scenes to enjoy, settle down for the full 2.5 hours - either way, this movie is, as Jules might put, some gourmet shit.

(2) Kill Bill Vol. 2 - This was tough, but I decided I like the second installment better than the first. I am a big fan of Michael Madsen, I love the fight scene with Uma and Darryl Hannah, and punching out of the box is set up amazingly well. The way the story is told in this one, while it takes a while, keeps you on the edge of your seat throughout.
(3) Kill Bill Vol. 1 - This movie nails it right from the start, and the fight between Uma and Vivica A. Fox sets the tone for the film right away, not to mention that excellence of the Lucy Lui storyline. The fight in the Japanese club near the end is one of the best directed and choreographed fights you will ever see.

(4) Inglorious Basterds - Hard to imagine that this movie could finish 4th on a list of mine, but it did. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie - well paced, well written, just the right amount of gory violence. The performance by Chrstoph Waltz has Col. Hans Landa nearly elevated this movie to number two in my list.

(5) Reservoir Dogs - While this movie has tons of memorable scenes, as a whole I don't think it rivals the four above it. That being said, I would rank the Mr. Blonde "Stuck in the Middle With You" scene as perhaps the greatest of all time, at the least the greatest set to music.
(6) Death Proof - I definitely enjoyed the Grindhouse experience, but this movie does not compare to any of the ones above it. Kurt Russell is entertaining as Stuntman Mike, and the pacing is typical Tarantino - a slow build, almost too long, followed by abrupt action. But due to its time constraints and the point of the Grindhouse event, this movie didn't have that "wow" factor of his other films.
(7) Jackie Brown - Maybe I need to watch this movie again, but when I last saw it a few years ago I just was not that impressed. I liked Robert Forster (as I always do) as Max Cherry, but he was the main bright spot. I think this movie was just too plot driven, as I think Tarantino excels at creating characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment